As we near the Halloween holiday, many neighborhoods in Wooster will be looking to hold Halloween events for children. While the City of Wooster does not coordinate or sponsor a city-wide, one-day trick-or-treat event, we do recommend that neighborhoods, families and individuals who choose to celebrate Halloween take into consideration the guidance set forth by the Ohio Department of Health as it relates to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
The City of Wooster will not be compiling a list of events on our website this year. For trick-or-treating, the Ohio Department of Health recommends reaching out to neighbors to discuss ways to ensure 6-foot social distancing, how candy can most safely be distributed, and the need for face coverings.
Some alternative ideas to celebrate Halloween 2020 include (https://indywithkids.com/ideas-covid-halloween-celebration/):
- Decorating your house with pumpkins and lights and other spooky sights!
- Have a Spooky Halloween Movie Marathon!
- Spread some Halloween cheer with a random act of kindness. Drop a pumpkin spiced treat or something that’s sweet at your neighbor’s front door.
- Be your own mad scientist! Use kitchen supplies and household items to mix up some Vampire Slime, Frankenstein’s Phlegm, Ghost Rockets, or Pumpkin Playdough!
- Follow the clues for a treasure hunt, or scour the scene for item’s featured in a photo scavenger hunt!
- Whip up some homemade Halloween treats that are sure to put a spell on you! Find a recipe for Feet-loaf (meatloaf), Eye-Ball Pasta, Spider Pizza or Mummy Dogs!
- Hold a Zoom Halloween Party and Costume Contest!
Neighborhood and event organizers should reach out to the Wayne County Health Department at (330)264-9590 with any questions related to COVID-19 and plans for your Halloween event.