The Wooster Division of Fire is a full time paid, professional fire department comprised of two administrative personnel which are the Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief, one full time Fire Safety Inspector, 3 Captains, 9 Lieutenants and 30 Firefighter/Paramedics for a total of 45 uniformed personnel.
Shift personnel respond from three different stations, Station One located at 510 N Market St., Station Two, located at 433 E. Highland Avenue, and Station 3 located at 2255 Gateway Drive, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Shift personnel work a 24 hour shift. They work the “California Swing” shift with an average work week of 51.7 hours.
The Division responded to a total of 4041 calls for service in 2016. This is an increase over 2015 when the Division ran 3936 calls for service. Of the total calls for service, 3318 were EMS calls and 723 were fire calls.
The Administrative offices and Fire Inspector are located at Fire Station One, 510 N. Market Street with regular business hours from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday – Friday, and can be reached at 330-263-5266 or by fax at 330-263-5281.
If you wish to become a firefighter/paramedic for the City of Wooster, please check for openings on the Human Resources page via the link below.
- Age 21-35 at time of appointment
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- State of Ohio Paramedic certification is required or must become licensed by time of hire if currently enrolled in paramedic school
- Must maintain Paramedic certification during employment
- Ohio Firefighter II certification required or obtained within first year of employment
- Valid driver’s license by the State of Ohio required
- Weight in proportion to height and body structure
- Must be able to meet and maintain physical fitness standards
To sit for the written examination, applicants must successfully complete the Firefighters physical agility course offered at Tri-C (216-987-5429).
*We reserve the right to change the requirements at any time. Please contact the City of Wooster Human Resources Department for latest information.
More information can be obtained by calling the City of Wooster Human Resources Department at (330) 263-5256 or (330) 263-5254.