The Wooster Division of Fire is a full time paid, professional fire department comprised of four administrative personnel which are the Fire Chief, two Assistant Fire Chiefs, and one civilian personnel. One full time Fire Safety Inspector, 3 Captains, 9 Lieutenants and 30 Firefighter/Paramedics make for a total of 46 uniformed personnel.
Shift personnel respond from three different stations, Station One located at 510 N Market St., Station Two, located at 3333 Burbank Road, and Station 3 located at 2255 Gateway Drive, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Shift personnel work a 24 hour shift. They work the “California Swing” shift with an average work week of 51.7 hours.
The Division responded to a total of 4671 calls for service in 2019. Of the total calls for service, 3661 were EMS calls and 1010 were fire calls.
The Administrative offices and Fire Inspector are located at City of Wooster Safety Center, Fire Station Two, 3333 Burbank Rd. with regular business hours from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday – Friday, and can be reached at 330-263-5266 or by fax at 330-263-5281.
If you wish to become a firefighter/paramedic for the City of Wooster, please check for openings on the Human Resources page via the link below.
- Age 21-35 at time of appointment
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- State of Ohio Paramedic certification is required or must become licensed by time of hire if currently enrolled in paramedic school
- Must maintain Paramedic certification during employment
- Ohio Firefighter II certification required or obtained within first year of employment
- Valid driver’s license by the State of Ohio required
- Weight in proportion to height and body structure
- Must be able to meet and maintain physical fitness standards
To sit for the written examination, applicants must successfully complete the Firefighters physical agility course offered at Tri-C (216-987-5429).
*We reserve the right to change the requirements at any time. Please contact the City of Wooster Human Resources Department for latest information.
More information can be obtained by calling the City of Wooster Human Resources Department at (330) 263-5256 or (330) 263-5254.